From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} DNS: no SOA record or DNSSEC
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:56:54
1 On 27/08/2013 12:30, Grant wrote:
2 > I use a fairly well-known (free) DNS provider. I just checked my DNS
3 > settings at dnscheck.pingdom.com and I got:
4 >
5 > 1. No SOA record was found when querying the name server. This is most
6 > probably due to a misconfiguration at the name server - a zone must
7 > have a SOA record.
8 >
9 > 2. Nameserver * does not do DNSSEC extra processing.
10 >
11 > Are either of these something to worry about?
14 Yes. Without an SOA record you don't actually have a zone.
15
16 You should stop using those crappy dns checker sites, they tend to be
17 full of shit, unreliable and operate off someone's idea of how DNS
18 should be instead of reading the actual RFCs on the matter. Our abuse
19 team has long ticket lists from people trusting those sites and now
20 think there's something with how we do glue. Hint: Our glue is right and
21 proper :-)
24 Instead just use dig, using google.com as an example get the NS records
25 first:
26
27 $ dig ns google.com +short
28 ns3.google.com.
29 ns2.google.com.
30 ns1.google.com.
31 ns4.google.com.
34 Then query each of those name server in turn directly for the SOA:
35
36 $ dig soa google.com +short @ns3.google.com
37 ns1.google.com. dns-admin.google.com. 2013081400 7200 1800 1209600 300
38
39 That's a correct SOA record.
40
41 What could have happened with that test site is the query timed out and
42 the site assumed the universe was therefore about to explode. Use such
43 if you want but always verify the results yourself using dig.
44
45 The DNSSEC message is not a problem. It means your provider does not use
46 DNSSEC. Again, the universe will not explode from this, we all got along
47 just fine with plain unsigned DNS transfers for 30 years. DNSSEC is a
48 way to digitally sign zone transfers and updates. Nothing to do with
49 zone resolution.
52 Alan McKinnon
53 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com