From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slim hassle...to login or not to login
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 16:21:50
1 Dru Kargin <drukargin@×××××.com> [10-05-29 18:08]:
2 >
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > while installing a new system from ground up on my new harddisc
6 > > I came accross a silly problem:
7 > >
8 > > I have setup X and slim as login manager. I installed openbox
9 > > (no kde/gnome) as session manager.
10 > >
11 > > Slim starts...and: The keyboard and the mouse are not responding...
12 > >
13 > > Same happens when I start plain X as root. Screen remains black
14 > > and I have to use the sysreq-keys to get my box back to normal...
15 > >
16 > > The X-logfile shows as only Error, that the GLX-module could not be
17 > > found.
18 > >
19 > > I am using nvidia-drivers and reinstalled them as adviced but the
20 > > effect remains the same.
21 > >
22 > > hald is running. fonts are installed (at least the default ones).
23 > >
24 > > Also installed are:
25 > > x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev Generic Linux input driver
26 > > x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard Keyboard input driver
27 > > x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse X.Org driver for mouse input devices
28 > >
29 > > eselect opengl set nvidia is done.
30 > >
31 > > What is missing? Why dies this not work (my old system running on
32 > > the same hardware using the same setup in principle has no problem
33 > > at all with X/Openbox.
34 > >
35 > > Why does X only half???
36 > >
37 > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
38 > >
39 > > Best regards,
40 > > mcc
41 > >
42 > Are your keyboard and mouse "InputDevice"s in xorg.conf configured to
43 > use the evdev driver, and does your "ServerLayout" section contain
44 > InputDevice lines to correctly point to those devices? I have had some
45 > weird problems with slim, but never trouble like you describe with plain
46 > X/twm.
47 >
48 > -Dru
51 I copied the working xconf from my old system to my new one and had
52 never modified/hacked the installation paths of those applikations.
53 So I exspect that at least X will give me that greyish screen with
54 an moveable X as cursor (was it that way...its lon ago that I need
55 to call X the plain way.).
56
57 Why could the GLX module not found???
58
59 mcc
62 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
63 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
64 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
65 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.