From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] portage and rsync vs svn
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:05:51
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I'm just curious about something. I've noticed many people report
4 problems with their repository syncing simply because someone was in
5 the middle of committing to the repository. Couldn't this be resolved
6 by replacing the syncing mechanism with *svn* as opposed to rsync?
7 After all, it does have atomic transactions, and you cannot get a
8 partially updated repository when you use it.
9
10 If this was to be done, I would suggest making tags every day, such as
11 YYYY-MM-DD. Then any other tags could also be made on milestones such
12 as 2006.0 for that release.
13
14 One other benefit of this mechanism, that I can think of, would be
15 that I could easily roll back to my last sync date or release, if some
16 of the updated ebuilds caused me problems.
17
18 Any thoughts?
19 --
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list