From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sysloggers
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 21:33:04
1 On Wednesday 17 June 2009 16:33:39 Mark Shields wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Alan McKinnon
3 <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > Does anyone have decent experience with sysloggers other than syslog-ng,
7 > > and
8 > > be willing to share experiences?
9 > >
10 > > I'm especially interested in some of the advanced features of syslog-ng
11 > > Premium from Balabit.com (based on and extending their open source
12 > > version):
13 > >
14 > > SSL-encrypted traffic over the network
15 > > Disk-based buffering on the client
16 > > Windows agents
17 > > Timezone aware (which syslog doesn't do and syslog-ng only partially)
18 > > Encrypted disk files
19 > > Filter, parse and rewrite incoming logs (vital if you need the auth log
20 > > over
21 > > here and the password field stored over there, without jumping through
22 > > hoops
23 > > first)
24 > > High scalability - 2000 Cisco devices and 200+ servers to start,
25 > > distributed
26 > > country wide
27 > >
28 > > --
29 > > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
30 >
31 > syslog-ng is the de facto standard. Metalog is fine for desktops, but I
32 > use syslog-ng on all my servers. Nearly all programs that can process log
33 > files are compatible with it.
34
35 I can't argue with that. I just get a little paranoid about auth logs being
36 sent (with credentials) over partially-open networks, hence the attraction of
37 encrypted traffic
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com