From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:35:18
1 Hello again, Alan.
2
3 On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:39:27AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:01:28 +0000
5 > Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
6
7 > > Hello, Neil.
8
9 > > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:41:53PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
10 > > > On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:24:22 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
11
12 > > > > That is precisely what the question was NOT about. The idea was
13 > > > > to copy (not move) booting software to /sbin instead of an
14 > > > > initramfs - the exact same programs, modulo noise - to have the
15 > > > > SW in /sbin necessary to mount /usr.
16
17 > > > Your package manager only knows about the copy in the original
18 > > > location.
19
20 > > So? The same applies to a copy in the initramfs.
21
22 > No it doesn't. The initramfs is a transient file system contained
23 > within a single file. To the package manager, it is just a file, one
24 > with a rather unique name that portage is highly unlikely to try and
25 > overwrite.
26
27 > Copying binaries into / means you are copying a large number of files
28 > into an area managed by the package manager. Those files have names and
29 > locations that are rather likely to be used by ebuilds.
30
31 Ah. I was looking forward to the sad time when package managers will be
32 installing things exclusively on /usr. Well, OK, on /etc too, but
33 certainly not to /sbin (which will probably have been abolished).
34
35 > Do we really have to spell out to you why this is a bad idea?
36
37 No, I can get that. ;-)
38
39 > > > When you update you'll have multiple versions of the same program or
40 > > > library in your path.
41
42 > > Well, with the manual/script copying which needs doing either
43 > > for /sbin or initramfs, that will be several copies of a program, not
44 > > several versions.
45
46 > Your copies will be used in preference to the originals in /usr. You
47 > will have to detect this yourself when this occurs and re-copy them and
48 > portage cannot help you.
49
50 I was thinking of using /sbin for booting, then removing it from $PATH as
51 soon as /usr gets mounted.
52
53 > Remember the primary difference between / and an initramfs:
54
55 > The initramfs is transient and it's contents are not available to
56 > confuse the system once early boot is over.
57
58 > / is a permanent file system that is always around, and always there to
59 > confuse the issue.
60
61 OK. I take /sbin off $PATH, like I said above.
62
63 > This is not a small trivial issue, it is huge, and a magnificent
64 > bug-injection system.
65
66 OK2. I don't like BI systems.
67
68 > > I'm still trying to see the reason why an /sbin with the same
69 > > contents as a putative initramfs won't work.
70
71 > Oh, it will work for booting all right. It's the issues it will cause
72 > after booting when it should no longer be there that is the problem.
73
74 We're going to be stuck with some issues anyway, no matter how we cope
75 with things. At the moment, I've got my /usr on RAID1, which I think
76 doubles up the speed things load at. (It's on LVM2 too, but that's by
77 the way.) I really don't want a fragile initramfs. Sooner or later, I'd
78 put some slight glitch into it and the result would be a dead PC. Either
79 that or I'll be scared stiff of touching it, which isn't how a Gentoo
80 user is supposed to be. Do I really want to take my /usr off RAID1, just
81 so I can amalgamate it with /?
82
83 There's no getting round duplicating executables once the single /usr
84 crowd have got their way. The only question is where you put the
85 duplicates, and how you make sure they don't foul things up.
88 > --
89 > Alan McKinnnon
90 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
93 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).