From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg-x11 screwup
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 04:04:27
1 On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 21:45:21 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:11:39 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >
6 > > No, that still doesn't work. When the user unmerges kde-meta, with your
7 > > proposal it will unmerge X11. The next step is that the user emerges
8 > > gnome which first emerges X11 back again.
9 >
10 > Except i this example you are likely to install GNOME before removing
11 > KDE, otherwise you'd be left with no desktop.
12 >
13 > > This isn't so bad with a
14 > > binary distro if the packages are on a CD, but on gentoo it's murder.
15 >
16 > If you have the disk space to spare, set FEATURES="buildpkg". Then
17 > reinstalling a package is as quick as with a binary distro.
20 The further complication there is that in this hypothetical situation
21 you are also likely to be changing some USE flags, and the prebuilt
22 buildpkg packages may need in fact to be built again against a new set
23 of libraries.
24
25 All of which is why I am glad I don't have to maintain portage and its
26 associated tools :)
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list