From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frontier ADSL modem and IP address
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 12:42:35
1 On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 11:04:57 GMT Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 10:24:48 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I'm puzzled. Why should a DSL modem be tied to a particular ISP? The only
4 > > thing I can think of is that one uses PPPoA and the other PPPoE. But the
5 > > modem should sort that out for itself when it connects upstream.
6 >
7 > ISPs looked into reducing their operating costs providing support to an ever
8 > increasing population of technically clueless users and in conjunction with
9 > router OEMs came up with a remote router provisioning scheme. This allows
10 > firmware updates and remote control of the CPE without the customer even
11 > knowing what is happening.
12
13 I hadn't come across that before. I did wonder whether it was another example
14 of control-freakery, but perhaps not.
17 Regards,
18 Peter.