From: Kenneth Prugh <ken69267@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenRC and rc.conf
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 03:25:58
1 On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:09:45 +1000
2 "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I've had some trouble in the past with "cfg-update" although it sure
5 > is easy. After a recent upgrade to a new portage, or so I assume, I
6 > was asked to decide what to do about a config file change to an
7 > entirely new system: OpenRC. Not sure what to do, I probably bodged
8 > that.
9 >
10 > Now I receive this message at times:
11 >
12 > /etc/rc.conf: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `>>'
13 > /etc/rc.conf: line 1: `>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> File 1'
14 >
15 > Investigating I discover there is a "Baselayout and OpenRC Migration
16 > Guide" that tells me
19 > It is critical that you run dispatch-conf and ensure your /etc
20 > is up to date before rebooting. Failure to do so will result in an
21 > unbootable system and will require the use of the Gentoo LiveCD to
22 > perform the steps below to repair your system.
23 >
24 > So, my question is how can I recover and make sure any new config
25 > file has been activated?
26 >
27 > Thank you,
28 >
29 > Alan
32 Assuming you rebooted, you need to do what it says. Boot a livecd and
33 chroot in, then follow the guide I'd imagine.
34
35 (If your rc.conf is totally wack, remerging openrc should
36 fix it [and possibly moving your current rc.conf to rc.conf.old or
37 similar if it's not working])
38
39 hope that helps.
42 Ken69267 | AMD64 Gentoo Linux Developer