From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Again: Critical bugs considered invalid
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:14:17
1 * b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > Your problem is: you live in the delusion that if you write thing X,
6 > people immediately understand X and either refuse it or accept it.
7
8 Isn't there an third state: "I didn't really understand what it's
9 about - please explain" ?
10
11 Can't speak for others, but my world isn't binary ;-P
12
13 > If you write thing X and X is not blatantly, utmostly trivially obvious
14 > (and even in this case) most people will NOT understand it. For example,
15 > I am explaining to you this concept right now, and I see you have an
16 > hard time grasping it. You see?
17
18 IMHO, I do understand what you're talking about, but I don't aggree.
19 Of course people cannot understand evrything. But they should at least
20 understand if they do understand the issue or need it to be some bit
21 more explained.
22
23 Let's take an different part of life, not computers, take policits.
24 I'm an elected representative. I have to decide lots of things here.
25 Normally somebody brings some proposable we should vote on. Usually
26 we talk about it before the vote (yeah, many people try to get their
27 issues stamped w/o discussions before complaints could be raised ;-O)
28 If I didn't fully understand the issue, I simply ask before voting.
29 Issues don't get kicked off the agenda (aka marked INVALID) because
30 the chairmain does not understand the whole thing. We rarely have
31 cases where we actually don't want to vote on specific things due
32 missing information or waiting for certain events. So we (by a vote)
33 take it from the agenda for a while and take it back ofter some time
34 (aka status NEEDINFO or LATER).
35
36 We don't have something like bgz for that. Just pen+paper. But it
37 works quite good.
38
39 > So you have to explain it again and to "defend" your opinion in the
40 > sense that you have to nail into the head of the relevant people that
41 > you're right (or nail into yours that you are wrong).
42
43 No that's really not what I'd call "defend". Maybe you can have to
44 defend some opinion, ie. if votes on certain decisions are running
45 (I want feature XYZ, or ABC should get in, etc). But on reporting
46 an problem there's nothing to defend. It's just an (personal) report,
47 no decision, nothing to vote.
48
49 > > Okay, this is really getting in philophical topics liek god vs. satan ;-o
50 > > (--> getting too offtopic ?)
51 >
52 > Yeah, but I like it. :)
53
54 Of course we can talk about it, but I'm not sure if this list is the
55 right place for that. Comments from others ?
56
57 > > In case of the mozilla-launcher bug, I did explain it. And I found an
58 > > quick and dirty solution for me. Not a clean one, but it's a start.
59 > > We had several better ideas in this thread, which should be discussed.
60 > > But as long as the bug is marked invalid, I have to assume that debate
61 > > is unwelcomed and so won't invest much more resouces in that.
62 >
63 > No, you have to assume that people upstream have not understood why the
64 > bug is valid.
65 > The conversation was:
66 > enrico: hey, there's bug X in package Y when doing Z
67 > bugwrangler: (giving just a fast glance) hmmm, doesn't look like a bug.
68 > maybe better avoiding wasting time.
69
70 So he decided altough he should *KNOW* that he's missing necessary info.
71 The right action would have been marking NEEDINFO instead of INVALID.
72
73 > enrico: oh, don't you think it's a bug? F**K YOU MORONS ME IS WASTING TIME.
74
75 That's just because he always declared my bugs invalid.
76 So the message is "we're not interested in any of your reports".
77
78 > Now the RIGHT reply would be:
79 > enrico: ehm, no. you misunderstand me, probably. it's REALLY a bug for
80 > those reasons. i'll try to be even more clear now...blah,blah...you see
81 > it now?
82 > b.w.: still not convinced
83 > enrico: (repeat until convince someone or you are forced to give up)
84
85 That would be correct, if the bug had been marked NEEDINFO.
86
87 > > Well, of course we're all conditioned on defending if we're attacked,
88 > > probably generic. But I really don't see I anytings to gain here
89 > > than maybe my honour in such an unimportant place like bgo.
90 >
91 > That's where you are wrong, and that's why I still insist answering to
92 > this thread. If you insist:
93 > - you get all the community aware that there is a bug
94 > - you could get the bug fixed
95 > - Gentoo is better
96 > That's why it is important. Frankly I don't care that much about your
97 > honour :), but I care about Gentoo. It's my OS, I want it better.
98
99 Well, in priciple I agree, but I'm really not willing in running
100 against a wall over and over. If the people in charge don't show
101 the slightest interest in my contributions, I don't see any reason
102 for wasting more time.
103
104 > But working alone helps no one apart from you and a bunch of
105 > guys that agree with you.
106
107 I don't have a problem with that. My fixes are working for me,
108 and if helps others and contribute, its nice. If not, it doesn't
109 actually matter.
110
111 > Discussing your patches with people could always be helpful.
112
113 Yes, that's why I'm posting them on this list.
116 cu
117 --
119 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
121 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
122 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
123 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
124 http://patches.metux.de/
126 --
127 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list