From: Brian Davis <bridavis@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sshd issues
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:28:31
1 Just keep in mind that rsa/dsa keys would be a more secure way of
2 authenticating, especially with all the brute-force scripts out there.
3
4 Jon M wrote:
5 > Ohh okay that makes sense.
6 >
7 > For everyones information, I got it to work properly. First of all,
8 > I'm an idiot and was edited /etc/ssh/ssh_config, not
9 > /etc/ssh/sshD_config :P
10 >
11 > Secondly, I had to enable PasswordAuthentication yes as well as
12 > ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
13 >
14 > This works perfectly now. Thanks again everyone, sorry for wasting
15 > your time.
16 >
17 > brettholcomb@×××××××××.net wrote:
18 >> I think that tells you that this is the default setting if you don't
19 >> change it.
20 >>
21 >>> From: Jon M <gentoo@××××××××.net>
22 >>> Date: 2006/11/14 Tue PM 09:35:13 EST
23 >>> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
24 >>> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sshd issues
25 >>>
26 >>> Hi Daevid,
27 >>>
28 >>> I tried playing around with some options in there and didn't seem to
29 >>> do much, but not sure if I tried changing that specifically. I do
30 >>> have a question though.. My ssh_config looks something along the
31 >>> lines of this:
32 >>>
33 >>> # Host *
34 >>> # PasswordAuthentication yes
35 >>>
36 >>> My question is, should they actually have # symbols in front as if
37 >>> they're commented out? My gut is telling me no..
38 >>>
39 >>> Thanks again
40 >>>
41 >>>
42 >>> Daevid Vincent wrote:
43 >>>> Change/Add this:
44 >>>>
45 >>>> PasswordAuthentication yes
46 >>>>
47 >>>> In /etc/ssh/sshd_config
48 >>>>
49 >>>> DÆVID
50 >>>>> -----Original Message-----
51 >>>>> From: Jon M [mailto:gentoo@××××××××.net] Sent: Tuesday, November
52 >>>>> 14, 2006 6:04 PM
53 >>>>> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
54 >>>>> Subject: [gentoo-user] sshd issues
55 >>>>>
56 >>>>> Hey all,
57 >>>>>
58 >>>>> I've been using other distributions for a while (CentOS,
59 >>>>> Slackware, Red Hat, etc) and finally switching to Gentoo, however
60 >>>>> this oddness with SSH is getting to me. It seems when I SSH into
61 >>>>> my machine it uses "keyboard interative" mode, where as I'm used
62 >>>>> to every other distro using just "password" mode I think it is.
63 >>>>> I'm wondering if there is any way to change this. I tried
64 >>>>> comparing /etc/ssh/ssh_config between my CentOS machine and my
65 >>>>> Gentoo machine, and both files are pretty much the same, and
66 >>>>> everything is commented out anyway.
67 >>>>>
68 >>>>> Any light someone could shed on this would be much appreciated.
69 >>>>> Thanks in advance!
71 >>>>> gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
72 >>>>>
73 >>>>>