From: David Klempner <klempner@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2GB of RAM
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:15:50
1 * Ralph Slooten <axllent@×××××.com> [2006-06-21 04:12]:
2 > Sorry, but one thing remains unclear. Ignoring the fact that adding
3 > embedded extras to your kernel on a non-embedded system just to get the
4 > the VMSPLIT options is (in my opinion) confusing and unlogical, is this
5 > step actually needed considering I (according to your advice) would take
6 > the default VMSPLIT anyway?
7 > What I mean is simply: If I enable HIGHMEM4GB to allow the kernel to use
8 > my 2GB of RAM, do I still need to add the embedded options (as you
9 > explain above), or is simply using HIGHMEM4GB enough? It's maybe a tough
10 > question is ask, but you definitely seem to know exactly what you are
11 > talking about ;-)
12
13 Right; the right thing to do here is to not touch VMSPLIT at all, which
14 means there's no reason to be messing around with CONFIG_EMBEDDED. Just
15 set HIGHMEM4GB and be done with it (but, if you're editing a config
16 where you've already done so, make sure that you still have all of the
17 CONFIG_EMBEDDED dependent options set correctly before you unset it:
18 enable every one of the "standard kernel features" except for the extra
19 pass, and then make sure you have the default 3/1 VMSPLIT)
20
21 > > Hope this helps.
22 >
23 > Is sure does! Any advice to the above question? With that I should be
24 > complete I think ;-) Where do you get your information from btw (I'm
25 > curious as I didn't find much via Google explaining as clear as you did)?
26
27 I did some googling about a year and a half ago, when I finally upgraded
28 my desktop from 512MB to 1GB and ran into these issues for the first
29 time, and I've spent some time poking around the kernel sources before.
32 David Klempner