From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel build - back in the soup.
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 01:47:29
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > your drivers for the ide disks have to be built INTO THE KERNEL! NOT MODULES.
4
5 Is that really a hard rule? I've done it both ways successfully in the
6 past.
7
8 And in fact, I didn't record my first builds on this kernel but I'm
9 pretty sure my first build did have all PIIX stuff built in.
10
11 Not to be argumentative but did you notice that both old and new
12 kernel have exactly the same module and built-ins concerning PIIX
13 Yet one recognizes /dev/hda5 and runs and the other doesn't
14
15 zgrep PIIX /proc/config.gz (this is 2.6.30-r1)
16
17 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
18 CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=m
19 CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX=y
20 # CONFIG_PATA_OLDPIIX is not set
21 CONFIG_I2C_PIIX4=m
22
23 Try the same thing on the newbuild:
24
25 grep PIIX /usr/src/linux/.config 2.6.31-r4
26
27 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
28 CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=m
29 CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX=y
30 # CONFIG_PATA_OLDPIIX is not set
31 CONFIG_I2C_PIIX4=m
32
33 > Also, you need to compile in the filesystem, not as module.
34
35 Again, I've done it both ways successfully in the past.
36 Why do we have module choices for these things?
37
39 So is that all you see in the failed boot messages that gives any clue
40 to why it fails.
41
42 I'm building them in on this build... I hope it works
43
44 But am I missing some critical driver?