From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] udev: lost dvd
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:37:00
1 Hello,
2
3 A few weeks ago I updated all of the gentoo systems I manage to udev.
4 (Late to the udev party). Well I've got vlc, mplayer, and kaffeine
5 working splendidly on 2 different intel portables. However, an Athlon
6 on an Asus A7v8X-X motherboard is not happy with the dvd or the
7 audio: Works fine, as audio CDs play just fine.
8
9 Hardware:
10 AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+
11 (from lscpi)
12 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
13 5200] (rev a1)
14
15 (from lshw)
16 capabilities: smbios-2.3 dmi-2.3
17 product: A7V8X-X
18 vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
19 physical id: 0
20 version: REV 1.xx
22 vendor: Award Software, Inc.
23 physical id: 0
24 version: ASUS A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1007 (11/13/2003)
25 *-cdrom
27 product: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152G
28 physical id: 0
29 bus info: ide@1.0
30 logical name: /dev/hdc
31 version: C400
32 capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable
33 nonmagnetic dma lba iordy audio
34
35 (from dmesg)
36 hdc: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152G, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
37
38 Kernel (miscellaneous from config file:
39 CONFIG_I2C_NFORCE2=m
40 CONFIG_SENSORS_VIA686A=y
41 CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=y
42 CONFIG_FB=y
43 CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA=m
44 # CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA_I2C is not set
45
46 Symptoms:
47 When (2.6.14-gentoo-r2)booting I get this error:
48 AT boot time: screen errors related to lm_sensors, which I
49 do not think are related to audio and DVD problems.
50
51 video:
52 vlc's gui fires up but nothing happens when I select to play a DVD
53 that plays on an intel portable..
54
55 Kaffeine gives more information:
56 "The source can't be read.
57 Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or the sourece doesn't
58 contain data (e.g. no disc in drive). (/dev/dvd)"
59
60 Sooooooooooo:
61 I did notice The dvd devices are missing:
62 ls -alg /dev/dvd
63 ls: /dev/dvd: No such file or directory
64 likewise video is missing:
65 ls -alg /dev/video
66 ls: /dev/video: No such file or directory
67
68 The dvd/video devices are not being created by the boot process
69 and udev, or I've munged things up in the kernel. Ideas on how to
70 diagnose and fix the dvd mapping to hdc are welcome.
71
72 James
75 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list