From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA - No Sound
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:38:30
1 dhk wrote:
2 > On 01/23/2011 07:55 AM, dhk wrote:
5 >> By the way, that link is really good. It did confirm that I'm using the
6 >> correct driver. I checked the plugs and nothing. I think I might try
7 >> another sound card. The one I've been trying to get working is part of
8 >> the mother board. I'm sure I have a Sound Blaster around somewhere.
9 >> I'll let you know if that maks a difference.
10 >>
11 >> . . . and yes I have the following.
12 >> # ls -al /dev/snd/
13 >> total 0
14 >> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 240 Jan 21 12:49 .
15 >> drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 3880 Jan 21 12:50 ..
16 >> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Jan 21 12:49 by-path
17 >> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 9 Jan 21 12:49 controlC0
18 >> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 Jan 21 12:49 controlC1
19 >> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 Jan 21 12:49 midiC1D0
20 >> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 8 Jan 23 06:56 pcmC0D0c
21 >> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 Jan 23 07:48 pcmC0D0p
22 >> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 Jan 21 12:49 pcmC0D1c
23 >> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 Jan 21 12:49 pcmC0D2p
24 >> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 10 Jan 21 12:49 seq
25 >> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 Jan 21 12:49 timer
26 >>
27 >> Thanks.
31 > The Sound Blaster didn't work either. Should I try enabling the
32 > deprecated OSS in the kernel?
36 I think that link was posted on here a long time ago and I bookmarked
37 it. There is another site that I think is Redhat based that is close to
38 the same thing. I just like the one I posted better. It has yet to
39 lead me to the wrong driver. Another good thing about that link, on the
40 left, you can find your mobo by model number and see if everything is
41 supported before you buy. Real nice and helpful site, even if it is
42 Debian. lol
43
44 Are you sure it is enabled in the BIOS and has the correct setting, if
45 anything can even be changed? I guess it could be that the audio part
46 is bad but I still suspect something is muted somewhere. I have ran
47 into this so many times it is ridiculous.
48
49 I don't think it would hurt to try the OSS drivers. If it works, cool.
50 If not, you tried one more thing and eliminated that as a cause. I
51 still feel like we are in Sherlock Holmes territory here.
52
53 Dale
54