From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with Nvidia fake raid array
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:47:07
1 On Tuesday 19 July 2011 16:36:20 you wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 July 2011 09:06:05 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 > > On 07/18/2011 11:08 PM, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
4 > > > Pardon my additional questions before taking the plunge here.
5 > > >
6 > > > So, given that I have three devices, /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and
7 > > > /dev/sdc, if I run the command mdadm --assemble --scan, would this
8 > > > find all the components and create a /dev/md0 disk without damaging
9 > > > the contents of the original RAID array?
10 > >
11 > > If you've got the space and time, a backup can't hurt. Using --scan will
12 > > make it check the config file, but right now, there's probably nothing
13 > >
14 > > useful in it. This looks like what you want to do to me:
15 > > If the --scan option is not given, then only devices and identities
16 > > listed on the command line are considered.
17 > >
18 > > The first device will be the array device, and the remainder will be
19 > > examined when looking for components.
20 > >
21 > > but I'd figure out where that md0 is coming from (below) first.
22 > >
23 > > > The only item in /dev/mapper is th default 'control' entry. There
24 > > > is
25 > > > a /dev/md0 item already listed, but presently when I try to mount
26 > > > it, it reports that it is unable to read the superblock. Would the
27 > > > command above fix this?
28 > >
29 > > Depends. Where'd the md0 come from? You probably have something in your
30 > > logs or dmesg, unless that device was created manually on your old
31 > > system.>
32 > > > Where is the config file mentioned in your e-mail, and do I need to
33 > > > edit it first to add the three raid disks?
34 > >
35 > > It's /etc/mdadm.conf. You don't need it to create or use the array, but
36 > > you'll want to run mdadm when the machine boots and the config file
37 > > tells it what to do. Once the array is working, you can just do,
38 > >
39 > > mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf
40 > >
41 > > to populate it. I guess also check to make sure there's no default crap
42 > > in there these days.
43 >
44 > mdadm? that is for linux software raid.
45 >
46 > He wants to use nvidia fakeraid. He needs dmraid for that.
47 >
48 > Build in the dmraid support.
49 > emerge device-mapper
50 > emerge dmraid
51 > add device-mapper to boot runlevel
52 > done
53 >
54 > If I remember correctly
55 >
56 > oh yeah - nvidia fakeraid is pretty fragile. You should plan to move away
57 > from it.
58
59 addendum: just saw that mdadm >=3 should be able to handle fake raid.
60
61 My bad.
64 #163933