From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Purged gnome, lost X. :-(
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 10:09:08
1 Hi, Tom.
2
3 On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 04:23:55AM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
4 > On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 17:02:17 +0000
5 > Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
6
7 > > xfce4-session: GNOME compatibility is enabled and
8 > > gnome-keyring-daemon is found on the system. Skipping gpg/ssh-agent
9 > > startup. env: kdeinit4: No such file or directory
10
11 > So, eh, a mixture of XFCE, GNOME and KDE; what's going on here?
12
13 I started off (4 years ago) with xfce, found it was missing a feature I
14 wanted (being able to switch keyboard mappings with a mouse click), so I
15 switched to gnome. At some stage, I emerged Umbrello (a UML program)
16 which pulled in a lot of KDE stuff. Then I got fed up with the political
17 machinations with gnome, and moved back to xfce, which now has the
18 mouse-click keyboard changer. With Gnome 3.8 moving to stable (and thus
19 threatening me with systemd, etc.) I had to purge gnome from my system.
20
21 Umbrello and KDE are now gone, but it seems a ghost of KDE remains
22 somewhere. There's a ghost of gnome, too - when I startx, I still get
23 these messages on the screen:
24
25 xfce4-session: GNOME compatibility is enabled and gnome-keyring-daemon is found on the system. Skipping gpg/ssh-agent startup.
26 env: kdeinit4: No such file or directory
27 env: qdbus: No such file or directory
28
29 .
30
31 > You'll want to start with inspecting ~/.xinitrc; from there on, look
32 > into the configuration of both your session and X itself.
33
34 My ~/.xinitrc contains but a single line, "exec startxfce4". It's not
35 obvious, from reading the man pages, where this mysterious configuration
36 is done.
37
38 > --
39 > With kind regards,