From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: '/' mounted write protected on first boot of vbox gentoo as guest
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 01:32:14
1 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > I installed gentoo in a vbox vm as guest.
4 >
5 > It boots successfully but is mounted write protected.
6 >
7 > I didn't see anything in dmesg that I recognized as pointing to the
8 > problem.
9 >
10 > Thought it might be a timing issue during boot processes and so tried
11 > to remount rw with `mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda3 /' with the message
12 > that it cannot since it is write protected.
13 >
14 > Suspected some doltishness on my part in /etc/fstab, but if so I could
15 > not see it. Cannot run sshd since it requires writing the keys etc so
16 > sshd will not start.
17
18 Please disredgard this query... a little more persistence in googling
19 and I hit a post from 2009 that explained it.
20
21 It was a kernel config shortcoming on my part: CONFIG_LBDAF was left
22 unset.
23
24 I think I may have even run across something about that when perusing
25 the handbook install section but when I got there during
26 `make menuconfig' All I can say is the way that section reads about
27
28 --*-- enable block layer --*--
29 [*] Support for Large (2tb+) block devices and files
30
31 kind of makes you think its something you don't need. But then
32 thinking again... with todays massive drives......