From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Permissions error on starting X.
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 16:27:38
1 On 05/11/2018 17:30, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2018-11-04, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 03/11/2018 16:01, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 >>> The developers, in this instance, failed to raise the ebuild's version
5 >>> number from 1.20.3 when making this change, and also didn't notify users
6 >>> by a NEWS item, that I can see.
7 >>
8 >> Emerge will catch this, no need for revbump. Unless you're not using -D
9 >> (--deep) when updating world. Which you should.
10 >
11 > What do you mean "catch this"?
12 >
13 > I always use -D, and the change broke my system.
14
15 I mean that a USE flag change will trigger a rebuild of the package, and
16 the USE flag in question is shown by portage. So you'll know something
17 has changed. If you went ahead and allowed it to rebuild, it would of
18 course break xorg, but you'd know why since you've seen the USE flag
19 change and know that the breakage most probably had something to do with
20 that USE flag.