From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fails to login with no network connected/setup
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 09:51:37
1 On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 02:38 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > William Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > I am having problems logging into a laptop (gdm) after its moved to a
4 > > new network. Its fine once its setup on the network in question, but if
5 > > I hibernate it then resume with it either not connected at all, or
6 > > connected to a new network (but not configured for it) it takes so long
7 > > to login to X via gdm it times out.
8 > >
9 > > Its a 6+ year old install, but up to date otherwise (just did a major
10 > > update which is when this started - nearly 400 packages so no idea what
11 > > might have done it). All logins are local and no network should be
12 > > required. GDM looks to be correct (and hasnt changed)
13 > >
14 > > Where should I look? - its obviously trying to do something on the
15 > > network but cant access it until its properly up and I need to login to
16 > > get the network up after moving it. I can get into a console and run
17 > > things manually, after which its fine, but that misses the point :)
18 > >
19 > > BillK
24 > If I recall correctly, this is a DNS issue. I tried to search my old
25 > emails for this but can't find the thread. I did find this on the
26 > forums tho:
27 >
28 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5409131.html#5409131
29 >
30 > Sounds weird at first but if it works, weird is OK too. ;-)
31 >
32 > Hope that helps.
33 >
34 > Dale
35 >
37 >
38 Thanks Dale, looks like thats the trick.
39
40 BillK