From: David Abbott <david@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AT&T DSL + Westell modem/router = Gentoo woes
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 22:58:10
1 On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 13:22 -0700, Grant wrote:
2 > >> I recently switched from cable to DSL on a Gentoo router and I'm
3 > >> having trouble keeping a stable connection. Periodically I need to
4 > >> run '/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart' before it will connect to the
5 > >> Westell modem (which is also a router although AT&T won't admit it).
6 > >> The weird thing is that rebooting the system doesn't reacquire the
7 > >> connection. I have to actually issue '/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart'.
8 > >> Does anyone know why rebooting doesn't reacquire the connection and
9 > >> restarting the interface does?
10 > >>
11 > >> - Grant
12 > >>
13 > > I just use the modem to login and then enable ip pass thru to my router
14 > > which is a linksys running DD-WRT;
15 > > http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7073
16 > >
17 > > This set-up has worked well for a few years without me having to do
18 > > anything.
19 >
20 > Could I get you to tell me a couple of your settings? You're doing
21 > something right if you haven't had to touch your's after setting it
22 > up.
23 >
24 > I'm trying to figure out the right connection type (or something like
25 > that) for which the options are something like Smart KeepAlive, Always
26 > Reconnect, and Connect On Demand.
27 I use Always On
28 >
29 > The other one is the IP lease timeout. It defaults to 10 minutes and
30 > I just set it to 99 days, but I don't want it to expire even after 99
31 > days. I have a static IP but I think this is the timeout between the
32 > modem/router and the Gentoo router.
33 I have DHCP lease time once per day
34 >
35 > - Grant
40 David Abbott <david@×××××××××.com>