From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to restart the network, no net.enp1s0
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 09:49:36
1 Dale wrote:
2 > n952162 wrote:
3 >> Hello all,
4 >>
5 >> my system runs fine, but when I want to restart my network, I find
6 >> there's no /etc/init.d/net.enp1s0 link or other interesting candidate.
7 >> Do something change here?
8 >>
9 >> What do I need to do to restart my network?
14 > I ran into something like this recently when switching to systemd udev
15 > from eudev.  When I rebooted, my interface names were changed.  Here's
16 > what you can try, maybe it will work.  Do ifconfig and see what it is
17 > named exactly.  This is the relevant part of mine:
20 > root@fireball / # ifconfig
21 > enp3s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
22 > <<< SNIP >>>
25 > Mine is named enp3s0.  So, the file needs to be named net.enp3s0.  I
26 > think you have that already but that will confirm your info.  So, you
27 > need to create a file that links to net.lo.  Mine looks like this:
30 > root@fireball / # ls -al /etc/init.d/net*
31 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     6 Mar  1  2012 /etc/init.d/net.enp3s0 -> net.lo
34 > I was in KDE so I used graphical tools.  In Krusader as root, must be
35 > root to do this, I right clicked the net.lo file then selected Link
36 > Handling.  It should pop up and ask you for a  name.  When it does, give
37 > it the file name for your card but don't forget to put "net." in front
38 > of it.  Whatever you do, don't delete net.lo or overwrite it.  I'm not
39 > sure what all problems that would cause but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't
40 > be good.  :-(  If you don't have Krusader, whatever tool you use that
41 > has root privileges should have a way to create a link.
42 >
43 > If you don't use a graphical file manager that has root abilities, man
44 > ln and create the link with it.  I haven't used ln in so long, I can't
45 > recall the proper way off the top of my head but it is pretty simple.  I
46 > think what they call a soft link is enough.  As long as it looks similar
47 > to mine above, you should be fine.
48 >
49 > Once you do one of those, you should be able to start, stop and restart
50 > your network.
51 >
52 > Hope that helps.
53 >
54 > Dale
55 >
56 > :-)  :-)
57 >
58 > Oh, I looked in the Gentoo wiki, I couldn't find a way to do this
59 > there.  Either my search abilities are lacking or it isn't there.  Maybe
60 > it's in the handbook.  Since the handbook moved to the wiki, it just
61 > isn't the same. If you searched before asking, it's no wonder you
62 > couldn't find a answer.
66 I found this in the handbook.  Linky:
67
68 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Networking/Introduction
69
70 If my post above doesn't help, maybe that will.  Of course, replace the
71 relevant bits such and interface name.  ;-)  It shows the ln method.
72
73 Dale
74