From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What's with KDE?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 09:16:05
1 On 2018-11-06 10:54:38, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 On 5.11.2018 17:35, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3
4 On 03/11/2018 06:43, Alan Grimes wrote:
5
6 How did they make it so that 40% of ordinary zip files I try to open
7 with konqueror fail CRC (but work perfectly from the command line)....
8
9 It used to have nice large icon mode with previews, and nice small-icons
10 in normal mode... Broken too for many months now. =\
11
12 Akregator crashes all the time if I simply try to close a tab... It went
13 about three years without saving anything to disk when it's supposed to
14 buffer my RSS feeds. Now it's just crashtastic in the extreme...
17 Plasma in itself is not too bad. I use Plasma, but not Konqueror or Akregator. Find the applications that work best for you. Just because you use Plasma doesn't mean you need to use the rest of KDE's applications ;-)
18
19 My browser is Firefox, my email client is Thunderbird, my image viewer is eog (Eye of GNOME), etc, etc.
20
21 I think my only KDE application is my file manager, which is Dolphin.
25 I use plasma since it got stable (on KDEish stuff since gnome 3)...
26 It is getting better with each emerge.
27 I also dropped Konqueror as file manager, first because it was ~ for a time and the features was not that much needed as before.
28 And Firefox and Thunderbird is also my choice.
29 I usually tend to try to find QT5 based app* before other alternative but eventually I land by best working one (kdiff compared to Meld, and so on).
30
31 S
32
33 * even if it means using ~version
34 I've been watching this thread -- didn't want to bring up plasma since there's been a lot of people who don't like it. When plasma first hit, it was a ball of crud -- slow, crashy, inconsistent, memory hog. However, it's been quite a while since then and, though I can't say that it's super-light on memory, it's not bad memory-wise, if you have the ram to spare (currently using around 160mb on my machine, 1 panel, a small handful of widgets). I also haven't really experienced the 'crashy" part in a while, though at its peak, I wrote a watchdog script for it. It looks good to me and there are themes which are flatter (my preference) or with more relief, as expressed as a preference elsewhere in this thread. Dolphin is (imo) quite good (does dual-pane too) and I stick to FF for web browsing. I'd heartily recommend qterminal over konsole, simply because it's lighter and faster (think aterm with pretty fonts). QDirStat is a real winner.
35
36 If you're not on a ram-constrained machine (think < 2gig), then I'd recommend plasma. I can't speak to "native" dev environments as I tend towards the JetBrains spectrum (WebStorm, Rider, etc) and VSCode.
37
38 The one blocker to note is that plasma expects a hardware-accelerated desktop. I found it to be incredibly unstable with the Nouveau drivers and super-slow with drivers like fb. I don't think you need super-special hardware -- even a reasonably modern Intel GPU might suffice -- but it's something to consider.
39
40 -d