From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How many people use KDE?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 04:28:58
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > A year ago, I was using a 1999 Dell (128 megs RAM, 450 mhz PIII) as my
6 >main machine. I still have it around as my emergency backup. KDE
7 >"runs" (would you believe crawls) painfully slowly on that machine.
8 >Using blackbox plus fbpanel, it's perfectly OK for most stuff, except
9 >that it drops frames on "internet TV" and working with 2560x1920 digital
10 >photos in Gimp is "leisurely". On my AMDK8, in 32-bit mode, it screams.
16 I have ran a old 400MHz machine with 128MBs of ram before. If you can
17 get some more ram in there, it will run a lot faster. It is the ram
18 more than the CPU that is holding you back speed wise. I put in another
19 128MBs and the speed was about three times faster. I had the same issue
20 with a AMD 800Mhz machine with 128MBs. I just added 64MBs to it and it
21 was a lot faster. I increased the 800MHz machine to about 300MBs later
22 on. It helped some but not a lot. I just happened to get a system that
23 didn't work but had some ram in it.
24
25 I suspect KDE, and the kernel, needs about 200MBs together to run
26 efficiently. This is based on my experience. I would not try to run a
27 system with 128MBs again, unless I had too.
28
29 Just a thought.
30
31 Dale
32 :-)
33
34 Let's see if I can send email tonight. < says prayer >
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list