From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kde 4.6.x going stable?
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:09:52
1 Dirk Uys <dirkcuys <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Please read this: http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde
7 Yep, I saw this. However much of the (QT) development
8 and maintenance is from folks that receive a paycheck
9 form Nokia. Now that MS is in the picture, I sure
10 this burden will move to the Open Source Community,
11 particularly the KDE devs.
14 It's really nice when corporations at least partially
15 support open source code. Adding QT to the KDE teams'
16 responsibilities, is a burden. I have not read about
17 legions of Nokia (former QT) developers happy to support
18 QT without a paycheck......?
19
20 Just a concern as I was hoping for a link to where the
21 (ex) Nokia QT devs are speaking out and pledging to take
22 AT forward.....?
23
24 All the above link sets forth is that there is a plausible,
25 legal path forward, not a team, organization or leadership.
26
27 After all, QT is very important to KDE and many other
28 gui devices (industrial controls for example). Is Nokia
29 pledging to keep moving QT forward? I read that MS owns
30 quite a large amount of Nokia now, and that (CEO) Stephen
31 is now Balmer's newest bitch.... That does not bode
32 well for QT, KDE or open source efforts, imho.
35 James