From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distcc
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:07:15
1 On 05 January 2007 18:47, sean wrote:
2 > Uwe Thiem wrote:
3 > > On 05 January 2007 15:47, sean wrote:
4 > >> I am reading over the info on distcc so that I might be able to setup an
5 > >> older P4 1.3 Ghz system to have help compiling from my dual Opteron
6 > >> (amd64 mode).
7 > >>
8 > >> I only want the Opteron to help the P4, not the other way around, the
9 > >> Opteron does not need the help.
10 > >>
11 > >> Is that configurable as such?
12 > >
13 > > Yes, but you need to set up a cross-compiler on the Opteron. Or can the
14 > > 64bit compiler generate 32bit code? Not too sure here.
15 > >
16 > > Uwe
17 >
18 > I just read a short time ago about the cross compiler.
19 > From my reading it only needs to be installed on the machine starting
20 > the process and using resources of another.
21 >
22 > Since I want the P4 to use the Opteron then the P4 needs the cross
23 > compiler in place. I do not intend the Opteron to use the P4 for help,
24 > so it is not needed and I just tell distcc to use the local machine.
25
26 Nope, that's the other way round. Since your Opetron is supposed to compile
27 stuff for a 32bit P4, it needs the cross-compiler - if it needs it. Still not
28 sure whether the 64bit gcc can generate 32bit code.
29
30 Uwe
33 A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
34 http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2
35 Proof of concept of a TSP solver for KDE:
36 http://www.SysEx.com.na/epat-0.1.tar.bz2
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list