From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Youtube-dl and file time stamps.
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 01:53:46
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Simon Thelen wrote:
3 >> [2020-07-15 17:30] Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
4 >>> Howdy,
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >>> I'm not sure what causes this because it doesn't always do this.  When I
8 >>> use youtube-dl to download videos, it sometimes uses the current date and
9 >>> time for the time stamp.  I like that because I can sort by date and see
10 >>> new videos.  On some sites tho it seems to use the time stamp of the file
11 >>> on the server I am downloading from not when it was put on my system.
12 >>> Sometimes I download a video and it may have a time stamp of years ago,
13 >>> decades sometimes.  I looked through the help page but can't find a option
14 >>> to tell it to use local time instead of the time from the remote server
15 >>> file.  Needless to say, when it does this, I can't tell which videos I
16 >>> recently downloaded since sorting by time stamps is no longer accurate.
17 >>> It's annoying.
18 >>>
19 >>> Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Is there a way to tell it to stop
20 >>> setting it to really old time stamps?  Some option that isn't documented
21 >>> maybe.
22 >> You're probably looking for the --no-mtime option. Depending on what
23 >> you're using to sort your local videos you can always just tell it to
24 >> sort by ctime instead of the (probably) default mtime. Several other
25 >> file download programs set the mtime to the last-modified header or
26 >> similar, but they tend not to touch the ctime.
29 > I found that but wasn't sure if that was what I was looking for or
30 > not.  I'll give that a try.  I added it to the conf file.  Now to wait
31 > until this set of videos finishes.
32 >
33 > Thanks much.
34 >
35 > Dale
36 >
37 > :-)  :-)
38
39 This appears to be affected by the other end in some cases.  It seems to
40 help in most places but not all.  To work around this, I changed the
41 info used to sort the files.  Sort of odd at times how it works but
42 anyway.
43
44 Thanks for the info.  It's not a complete fix but it does help.
45
46 Dale
47