From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: Removing 3 disks and replacing with 1
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 19:06:17
1 On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 18:44:18 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 > >> Or you could just format and mount the new drive and use `cp`.
4 > >
5 > > Thereby instantly removing the benefits of LVM and making it almost
6 > > impossible to extend the space by adding another drive when needed.
9 > I don't think so. vgextend the volume group with the new disk, lvcreate
10 > a new volume using only extents from the new disk, copy data over to it,
11 > swap mount points, done.
12
13 But Stroller made no mention of LVM on the new disk, just format and
14 mount.
15
16 > > To the OP, pvmove is perfectly safe as it does a copy;verify;delete on
17 > > one small block of extents at a time. It also ensures that any new
18 > > writes while pvmove is running go to the new drive, so you can still
19 > > use the system while moving (try doing that with cp :).
20
21 > Wait, are we talking about a system disk (root and stuff)? I was under
22 > the impression that it's just a data dump. Of course, with system
23 > partitions and other media that cannot be handled read-only for a longer
24 > time, pvmove or lvchange are the better options.
25
26 It doesn't have to be a system disk, just something that is in use.
27 Copying 3TB is going to take a while, making the drive unavailable to
28 whatever needs to write for it for that amount of time may be be
29 unacceptable and is certainly unnecessary.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 A consultant is a person who borrows your watch, tells you what time it
36 is, pockets the watch, and sends you a bill for it.