From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Plasmashell consuming huge amounts of memory.
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 08:50:55
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 04:03:14 BST Dale wrote:
3 >> P Levine wrote:
4 >>> ​AFAIK, plasma5 uses ~/.local and ~/​.config.
5 >> I wish I had read this earlier. I keep forgetting that. I've read it
6 >> before but I never seem to recall it when I really really need it. If I
7 >> ever remember to do just those two files, I'll remember it most likely.
8 >> Big IF there.
9 > Having struggled monumentally with KMail over the last several months, I got
10 > fed up enough with setting up a new user from scratch that I now have a
11 > fresh user set up and ready to go. It has the few things I want to keep in
12 > my own account, and an empty directory structure for KMail. All I have to do
13 > is (re)move the old account, copy the ready account into place and go.
14 >
15 > That would be harder if I didn't have a ~/common partition containing
16 > everything I'd need if I installed another distro but without the version-
17 > specific KDE stuff. It's a hangover from the days when I hadn't settled on a
18 > single distro, but it's proved its worth this year.
22 I switched from Kmail ages ago.  I think it was because clicking links
23 was becoming a nightmare.  It's been so long, can't be sure.  I switched
24 to Seamonkey which means I shouldn't have to move emails unless I switch
25 email programs.  Of course, Seamonkey gets on my nerves at times too and
26 I figure at some point, I'm going to blast it with a cannon or something
27 right out the door.
28
29 For some reason, the mv command did something weird.  For a bit there, I
30 thought I'd lost my emails.  However, I found them and copied them back
31 into the right place.
32
33 I just wish I had either remembered or seen Levine's comment before I
34 did all that.  That could have saved me a lot of trouble.  Most likely
35 just renaming those two files would be a good test.
36
37 BTW, I've already had to restart the plasma thing.  It was up to almost
38 20%.  Since I don't shutdown my puter, I kill it before I lay down for a
39 nap.  Restart it when I get up.  Hoping for a can of Raid soon.  :/
40
41 Dale
42