From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changed monitor and even the BIOS screen doesn't show up.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:27:00
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:38 AM,<meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com> [10-12-14 16:26]:
5 >>
6 >>> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Hi,
9 >>>>
10 >>>> I am in the process of switching from the old rig to the new rig. While
11 >>>> doing the install I was using a Gateway EV700 monitor and it worked fine. I
12 >>>> unhooked the cables from my old rig and moved in the new rig. The new
13 >>>> monitor is a Gateway EV910. When I boot with the Gateway EV910 hooked up,
14 >>>> it doesn't even come out of power saver mode or show the BIOS screen that
15 >>>> pops up when I first turn the puter on. It does work with the one I used to
16 >>>> install with, EV700. So, I know the card didn't mess up in the switch.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Since it doesn't even work with the BIOS screen, this is not a OS issue. Is
19 >>>> there some setting I have to change to be able to change monitors or am I
20 >>>> just going nuts here? What is it about hooking up a different monitor that
21 >>>> makes it not work? Both monitors support the same resolutions and I have
22 >>>> switched these before with my old rig and not a single problem.
23 >>>>
24 >>>> What am I missing? Some new feature that the video card remembers what
25 >>>> monitor it is supposed to hook up to?
26 >>>>
27 >>>> Thoughts? Fixes would be nice.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Dale
30 >>>>
31 >>> Like old Bill C. said "I feel your pain."
32 >>>
33 >>> I've got a newish Samsung 22" monitor I'm using on this computer. It
34 >>> works great. However recently I tried reinstalling Gentoo on an older
35 >>> Mac Mini. This same monitor, when attached to the Mac, would boot
36 >>> Gentoo from the CD, showing text on the screen for about 10 seconds,
37 >>> and then seems to go into some sort of power savings mode where the
38 >>> text becomes so dim that you almost can't read it. I found in that
39 >>> case I had to turn the lights off to see what the Gentoo install disk
40 >>> was telling me to do. I figured out what I had to type to get yaboot
41 >>> to boot, but it was a mess.
42 >>>
43 >>> I never found a solution to this and just gave up as the Mac was too
44 >>> slow. You might look for BIOS level power management stuff and see if
45 >>> it's turning off or dimming the output?
46 >>>
47 >>> Good luck. I feel your pain...
48 >>>
49 >>> - Mark
50 >>>
51 >>>
52 >> In the BIOS try to disable any APM and ACPI stuff....
53 >>
54 >> Good luck!
55 >>
56 > On a PC like Dale, yes. On a Mac not sure how, and as I say for me
57 > it's a non-issue 'cause the Mac went in the junk pile.
58 >
59 > - Mark
63 And I'm enjoying my new screen as well. I may not have to get glasses
64 for a while now. I can see. O_O
65
66 I do have some questions tho. Going to start a new thread on those
67 tho. Nothing to do with the monitor.
68
69 Dale
70