From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't ping remote system
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 14:36:12
1 On 01/09/2013 15:28, Grant wrote:
2 >>>> My laptop can't ping my remote system but it can ping others
3 >>>> (google.com, yahoo.com, etc). I've tried disabling my firewall on
4 >>>> both ends with '/etc/init.d/shorewall stop && shorewall clear'. Could
5 >>>> my AT&T business ADSL connection on the remote system be blocking
6 >>>> inbound pings?
7 >>>>
8 >>>
9 >>> Possible, have you tried pinging your remote system from a different
10 >>> location? You may try http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
11 >>>
14 >> Sorry, wrong link: http://ping.eu/ping/
15 >
16 > I get 100% packet loss when pinging from there.
17 >
18 > - Grant
21 try an icmp traceroute, if you are lucky you'll get a result that tells
22 you on which hop the pings cease to work:
23
24 traceroute -I
25
26 but do read the man page (traceroute is like ps in that there are many
27 versions around and options don't always match up with what folk say on
28 mailing lists)
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com