From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplest NTP client for standalone system?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 02:16:44
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Another example is LVM. You or I might really need it (debatable now we
4 >> have ZFS) but the average user has no concept of what it might be, or
5 >> care. So why do Ubuntu installers shove it in your face as something
6 >> really cool that you should really really use? Because the author of the
7 >> installer thinks it's really cool, that's why.
8 >>
9 > Maybe.
10 >
11 > Or maybe because when that computer's hard drive starts getting full
12 > and you add a new hard drive, if you're using lvm with a few commands
13 > you can make your /home expand across both drives, while with straight
14 > partitions that is a lot more work.
15 >
16 > There really is no reason not to use some kind of volume management
17 > solution these days, whether that is zfs/btrfs, or lvm. When your
18 > data is on lvm it is MUCH easier to move it around than if you just
19 > put it directly on drive partitions.
20 >
21 > Arguably you want more flexibility around adding/removing drives on
22 > the desktop than in the enterprise, because desktop users don't add
23 > and remove drives in sets of 5-6. This is why I think btrfs is
24 > actually superior to zfs conceptually on the desktop (setting aside
25 > the fact that it will tend to eat your data) - the flexibility matters
26 > more on the small scale because you want to go from a 3-disk RAID5 to
27 > a 4-disk RAID5.
32 You have a point but most people I know use a computer for years, until
33 it is about dead due to age, and the hard drive isn't even half full. I
34 have a neighbor that bought a computer several years ago with a 1TB
35 drive. Last I looked, it had less than 200GBs of data on it, including
36 the OS.
37
38 Sad to say but when a drive fills up, most people would think the system
39 is broken and just go buy a new one, while losing the data at the same
40 time. Most people I know, don't even think about transferring data from
41 their old system to their new system. They just assume a video or
42 whatever won't work except on that old system so they lose everything.
43
44 It's sad to say, even about some of my friends and even family members,
45 most are clueless about how a computer works and how easy it can be to
46 transfer data from one system to another. Same can be said with
47 backups. Especially if you don't have a lot, online backup services can
48 be very easy and require nothing from the user.
49
50 Dale
51