From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] which ebuilds use a specific eclass?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:38:49
1 Ok, so googling found lots of interesting things to read; some deprecated
2 some new.
3
4 So looking more deeply into some of the eclasses [1], it helps me to examine
5 different ebuilds an eclass is inherited into; then specifically how
6 those eclass constructs are used, by subsequently looking into a specific
7 ebuild.
10 Evidently, I'm not alone in this adventure as I have read lots of stuff
11 about folks not choosing the best eclass to use for a specific task, not
12 using a given eclass correctly and new (eclass) features that should be used
13 which have been added to an existing eclass or as part of a new eclass.
14 Surely this can be very dynamic, but, I'm mostly hacking at relatively
15 straightforward ebuilds, so the existing semantics are probably fine for me
16 in most cases, no bleeding edges here.
19 So for a given eclass, how to I find the list of all ebuilds that use
20 that eclass I'm interested in? Is my only option a brute force search
21 of the "inherit" inside every ebuild? What if I only want to look at
22 an eclass, like systemd, limited to a specific category of ebuilds, for
23 example sys-cluster; what is the best tool/script to search for a specific
24 eclass limited to a single category?
27 James
30 [1] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/eclass-reference/index.html