From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partition-based backup/cloning tool...
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 22:57:06
1 On Tue, 19 May 2009 20:28:44 +0200, Jarry wrote:
2
3 > > Then use LVM and tar. Otherwise, trying to backup an in-use partition
4 > > can result in inconsistencies.
5 >
6 > I'm using O&O DiskImage with WinXP, and never had any inconsistency
7 > while doing backup of "live" partition. I'd like to have the same
8 > possibility with linux. But maybe I simply expect too much...
9
10 A live partition will, by definition, be changing, so how can you
11 guarantee consistency?
12
13 > Concerning LVM: IIRC it is not recommended to use lvm for /boot or
14 > / partition (maybe this has changed since I tested lvm last time).
15
16 Not for /boot, no, but for everything else.
17
18 > And finally, tar is file-based backup/recovery tool. It does not
19 > take care of partition table (sizes, flags, names, etc) nor for
20 > boot loader.
21
22 With LVM, you don't need to worry about partition tables so much. You can
23 use exclusively primary partitions, so those and the bootloader can
24 be backed up with dd on the first 512 bytes of the disk.
25
26 > And it is less comfortable, you must exclude some
27 > directories (/proc, /dev).
28
29 No, you just use the one-filesystem option to backup individual
30 filesystems.
31
32 > What I need is a tool which can quickly
33 > and easily backup/restore the whole disk. Fully automatic action
34 > is highly prefered. I think partition-based backup/cloning software
35 > is better suited for this...
36
37 Then you want something like Clonezilla, which you mentioned in your
38 original post. It's not in portage because it's a live CD, and that's the
39 only safe way to do a whole disk backup.
43 Neil Bothwick
44
45 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.