From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nasty bugs in portage?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:20:08
1 On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:37:22 -0400, Dave Nebinger wrote:
2
3 > If you don't have the time to watch over the stage 1 build process, you
4 > can jump straight to a stage 3 then update packages from there.
5
6 That's exactly what I did with my laptop. It arrived at 1pm and I needed
7 it fully functional for the next morning, so I did a Stage 3 install in a
8 little over an hour (including compiling the kernel). I then emerged KDE
9 and some other essentials from a package CD and it was fine.
10
11 When I had time, I set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to ~ppc, fiddled with my USE flags
12 and did update -uavDN world, which recompiled just about everything,
13 giving me the same as if I'd done stage 1 to start with, except I had a
14 usable computer in far less time.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 If a stealth bomber crashes in a forest, will it make a sound?