From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel panic -- finding proper config diff
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:14:39
1 On Wednesday 21 October 2009 21:07:18 Jonathan Callen wrote:
2 > Maxim Wexler wrote:
3 > > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly on device 8:1,
4 > > Freeing unused kernel memory: 276k freed
5 > > Warning: unable to open an initial console
6 > > Kernel panic - not syncing. No init found. Try passing init=option to
7 > > kernel.
8 >
9 > To me, that looks like /dev/sda1 (which is what the kernel is using as
10 > root=) doesn't contain any of the following:
11 > /sbin/init
12 > /etc/init
13 > /bin/init
14 > /bin/sh
15 >
16 > Noting that the kernel output implied that it was an ext2 filesystem,
17 > that looks like it mounted your /boot as /, which fails as there isn't
18 > any init available on it.
19 >
20 > PS:
21 > In case you were wondering how I knew it was /dev/sda1, that's what
22 > "device 8:1" means: the block device with major number 8 and minor
23 > number 1, which happens to be the major:minor assigned to /dev/sda1.
24
25 Does /dev/sda1 genuinely contain / and not for example /boot?
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com