From: Steve <gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Syslog-ng using a spectacular amount of CPU time... (I'm using sshguard)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:27:23
1 Steve wrote:
2 >> destination sshguardproc {
3 >> program("/usr/local/sbin/sshguard"
4 >> template("$DATE $FULLHOST $MESSAGE\n"));
5 >> };
6 >>
7 The presence of the above line is definitely what triggers the excessive
8 CPU usage - it is almost as-if syslog-ng is 'busy-waiting' for the
9 sshguard process. The sshguard process is running - but using zero CPU.
10
11 I have this problem with syslog-ng versions 2.1.3 and 2.1.4 (the one
12 with ~x86)...
13
14 This is very frustrating... having played around, the syslog-ng tends
15 towards using 100% CPU when my server is otherwise quiet - if, and only
16 if, I have the program destination... even if the destination is not used.