From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] XDM Start Faster
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 00:51:51
1 below is not exactly answering ur question, but
2 i am sharing it in case it helps.
3
4 here is how i chose to live in order to minimize
5 suffering, and i did not change this setup for
6 several years:
7
8 0. i login in text (no gui login). i think xdm
9 is fundamentally a redundant concept that
10 should not have existed as per occam's razor.
11
12 1. i use i3, and start it by `startx`. i can
13 auto-start startx upon login, but i like it
14 better this way, as i may not always want gui
15 stuff.
16
17 2. for screen locking, i made an i3 binding that
18 executes `i3lock` upon pressing `mod+del`.
19
20 3. if i wanted to auto-lock, or auto-run a screen
21 saver, i use things like `xautolock`. but i
22 no longer do it, bcoz i don't feel i really
23 need it (occam's razor) -- it's just that i
24 happened to do it in the past. nowadays, i
25 have evolved to just not forget locking the
26 screen when leaving my desk.
27
28 i know not exactly answering ur xdm-specific
29 question, but i hope it offered u another
30 perspective that might take u closer to ur nerd
31 singularity.
32
33 rgrds,
34 cm.