From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:51:23
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > The permissions issue is an artifact of how NFS works. Sun designed it
4 > to deliver entire filesystems over the network (most often /usr and-or
5 > /home) to trusted clients. "trusted" being the operative word. To get
6 > Unix permissions to work, the uid on the share and client have to match
7 > - that's why we also have NIS - but I've never seen NIS actually used
8 > anywhere, so UIDs tend to be a mix 'n match and almost always devolves
9 > into "full access" to get it to work.
10
11 This is how NFS was designed before 1987, when Kerberos came up....
12 >
13 > CIFS work different, it auths users by username and supports per-field
14 > access control. That's how that protocol works.
15
16 This is how NFSv4 works.
17
18 BTW: as long as Linux does not support modern ACLs (originally defined by NTFS,
19 now standardized by NFSv4) Linux will not be able to take advantage from CIFS
20 ACLs.
21
22 Jörg
25 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin