From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Slightly OT: favorite window manager/desktop environ?
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:44:51
1 On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:31:28AM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote
2 > IceWM (with ROXFiler if you want Desktop icons, etc)
3 >
4 > lightening fast, easy to configure
5
6 Blackbox WM here. This goes back to when my 6-year-old Dell, 450 mhz
7 PIII, 128 megs of RAM, was still my main machine. The GNOME and KDE
8 people write some great apps (Gimp, Gnumeric, AbiWord, KDE Office), but
9 their "desktop environments" are huge, bloated, resource hogs. With
10 Blackbox, I can still run the apps, without the desktop. Put it this way
11
12 I don't run desktops, I run applications.
13
14 I think lightweight WM's will be important. Linux in general will
15 have a great "window of Opportunity" when Vista is released. A lot of
16 current machines will not be able to run it well ("crawl" != "run"). If
17 people are faced with a choice of throwing out their old W2K, and XP
18 machines, and buying new ones, versus keeping their machines and
19 switching to linux, I think we could see quite a few converts. We can
20 also pound away on the TCO angle at Microsoft's expense. Running the
21 latest version of linux doesn't require you to buy a new desktop. On
22 the other hand, that may explain why some PC hardware companies are so
23 lukewarm (in some cases hostile) about linux support.
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
27 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list