From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem corruption - reiserfs? - won't boot, "filesystem couldn't be fixed :("
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 14:01:36
1 On 3 March 2010 13:28, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 3 Mar 2010, at 12:42, Willie Wong wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 12:24:42PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> There seem to have been a few people posting with filesystem
8 >>> corruption in the last week or two. It seems to be my turn, so I hope
9 >>> it isn't contagious. The cause here is quite clear - whilst rummaging
10 >>> in the server cupboard yesterday, power to the machine was
11 >>> accidentally disconnected.
12 >>>
13 >>> I have booted with a live CD & run `reiserfsck --fix-fixable` on the
14 >>> filesystem, but nevertheless when I attempt to boot the system I get a
15 >>> "failed to open the device... no such file or directory" message,
16 >>> followed by another error as per subject line.
17 >>
18 >> from the output it looks like you are mounting by label? What if you
19 >> edit fstab to point to the device name /dev/hd?? instead of
20 >> LABEL=root? Check the filesystem label to make sure it is ok?
21 >
22 > Many thanks for this suggestion, however following it makes no difference,
23 > except in the trivia that it says "failed to open the device '/dev/hda3': No
24 > such file or directory" (instead of "LABEL=...").
25 >
26 > I also tried editing grub to point to /dev/sda3 (although admittedly with
27 > the LABEL= entry in /etc/fstab) but that makes no difference. I have never
28 > tried (intentionally) reconfiguring this kernel to use /dev/sdX instead of
29 > /dev/hdX and I'm pretty sure it's booted using the current kernel &
30 > configuration in the past.
31
32 In my experience reiserfs is a very stable fs. I had a dodgy memory
33 module once which I put up with for more than 9 months. The machine
34 would lock up hard on a daily basis and the only way to get it going
35 again would be to pull the plug. That would happen at random,
36 midstream emerge --sync, package updates, updatedb, etc. It survived
37 through hundreds of crashes by fsck at the next boot. Once or twice
38 things went hairy and I would get a message similar to yours. On
39 these rare occasions I booted with a LiveCD and with the partitions
40 unmounted I ran --check, then --fix-fixable and finally
41 --rebuild-tree. You may want to use an external drive with dd to
42 image the current / partition and do all your recovery work on that.
43 If you don't care too much about the risk of catastrophic failure then
44 just run --rebuild-tree with a LiveCD and see what you get.
45
46 Good luck.
47 --
48 Regards,