From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Battery charge status script for term or text console
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 23:53:41
1 The attached script requires "make menuconfig" to have
2
3 Power management and ACPI options --->
4 [*] ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support --->
5 <*> Battery
6
7 or CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY enabled if you do .config manually.
8
9 The script reads /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/uevent on a laptop and
10 calculates the percentage of battery charge. Because it only reads from
11 /sys, and does not write, it can be run by a regular user. The script
12 is primitive, and has to be stopped with {CTRL}{C}.
13
14 The script runs in text mode, and can run in xterm or even a pure text
15 console. I've removed the #!/bin/bash at the top of the attached file
16 and chmod'ed it non-executable. The mailing list software seems to
17 reject any such attachments. You can source the file as is, or chmod it
18 executable, and insert #!/bin/bash at the top. Note that there is an
19 ANSI escape sequence in the script, to keep the output in one location.
20 Regular cut-and-paste can fail if you try to copy from the screen.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications

battpct text/plain