From: nunojsilva@×××××××.pt
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Loading Issue
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:03:58
1 On 2020-02-19, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2
3 > Roger,
4 >
5 > On Wednesday, 2020-02-19 09:51:20 +1300, you wrote:
6 >
7 >> ...
8 >> rc_interactive means I can press "I" or "i" during boot and
9 >> INTERRUPT
10 >> the boot process; *otherwise* it will boot as per normal.
11 >>
12 >> Is that not the behaviour you are seeking?
13 >
14 > Speaking not for the original poster but only for me:
15 >
16 > In a mathematical sense it surely is, because the interactive interface
17 > you are confronted with allows you not to start any services you're dis-
18 > liking. In a practical sense it surely requires more than patience, be-
19 > cause for each and every service available the user will be prompted to
20 > enter a number:
21 >
22 > 1. Start this sevice.
23 > 2. Skip this service.
24 > 3. Start all remaining services.
25 > 4. Start a privileged shell.
26 >
27 > So instead of pressing the "1" key umpteen times (plus one time too oft-
28 > en, ARGH :-) it's probably really easier to boot from a live CD.
29 >
30 > And the privileged shell offered here is also restricted in that it is
31 > only usable for the minority of 330 million people using a US keyboard
32 > layout, while the vast majority of 7.4 billion people NOT using a US
33 > keyboard layout will most probably not even manage to enter their pass-
34 > word :-(
35
36 If the US layout is causing too much trouble, it might be worth it to
37 run "loadkeys" manually.
40 Nuno Silva