From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 5 missing
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 18:23:37
1 On 22 August 2011 10:29, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Am 22.08.2011 18:58, schrieb Hilco Wijbenga:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> I just noticed that Portage wants me to upgrade to FF 6. I know,
6 >> however, that (some of) my plugins don't run in FF6. Not a problem,
7 >> I'll just mask FF6 ... oops ... there's no more FF5?
8 >>
9 >> Would it be possible to support FF5 a bit longer? The devs at FF may
10 >> have gone a bit bananas but surely we don't have to follow suit? :-)
11 >>
12 >> Or is there a way to tell Portage to ignore upgrades but not downgrade FF?
13 >>
14 >> Cheers,
15 >> Hilco
18 > Well, in any case, FF5 should at least be masked since it does not
19 > receive security fixes.
20 >
21 > The cleanest way to preserve FF5 for you is to create an overlay
22 > containing the latest version from Gentoo's CVS ([1 - 4].
23
24 Yes, that's what I've done in the mean time.
25
26 > The easier way (as long as you don't have to re-emerge) is to add your
27 > *current* version of FF to /etc/portage/package.provided. As `man
28 > portage` states:
29
30 Ah, thank you, I did not know about package.provided.
31
32 > Portage  will  not attempt to update a package that is listed here
33 > unless another package explicitly requires a version that is newer than
34 > what has been listed.
35 >
36 > Or just mask FF completely and ignore all warnings of emerge about it.
37 >
38 > [1] http://anoncvs.gentoo.org/
39 > [2] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cvs-tutorial.xml
40 > [3]