From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem trying to play sound when pulse audio is enabled
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 04:08:50
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > >> > Hi. I have not used pulseaudio at all, but with gnome 3.8 I guess it
8 > >> > must be there, but when I try to play a sound using either mplayer from
9 > >> > the console which works fine withalsa, or even aplay, I get no sound
10 > >> > unless I change the /etc/pulse/client.conf to spawn=no .
11 > >>
12 > >> Unless you have a very specific setup, you should not need to touch
13 > >> the files under /etc/pulse. Also, are you trying to run the
14 > >> system-wide PulseAudio service? Because that's basically wrong:
15 > >>
16 > >> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/WhatIsWrongWithSystemWide
17 > >>
18 > >> > Anyway to fix this?
19 > >>
20 > >> If you are running PA as a normal user (as you should), then perhaps
21 > >> the per-application volume for MPlayer is muted. While playing
22 > >> something with MPlayer, go to Settings -> Sound, then select the
23 > >> Applications tab, and there should be a volume slider for all the
24 > >> applications using audio. Just adjust as necessary.
25 > >
26 > > I got no sound when pa was run as a user. I am running these apps from
27 > > the console -- apps such as aplay or anything which uses alsa. So I
28 > > can't adjust any volumes under gnome, etc.
29 >
30 > Also, from the console you can use pactl. To play a sample sound there, do:
31 >
32 > pactl play-sample 0
33 > pactl play-sample 1
34 >
35 > It should work. You can also set the volume from here:
36 >
37 > pactl set-sink-volume 0 "100%"
38 >
39 > 0 is usually the "master" volume.
40 >
41 > Check out man pactl.
42
43 Well, in either system or user mode, root can play sound whereas a
44 regular user gets silent, but without pulseaudio -- spawn=no, then a
45 regular user can play sound. Does this give a clue?
49 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
50 How do
51 you spend it?
52
53 John Covici