From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Broken update
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 21:07:05
1 On 9/7/21 12:13 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 7 Sep 2021 09:32:41 -0700, Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >
4 >> Why is it checking the build environment for a binary package?
5 >
6 > I was wondering the same.
7 >
8 >> As it stands, I can't fix this problem.
9 >>
10 >> I tried editing the ebuild (removing the __thread check) and rebuilding
11 >> the manifest but it still fails at the same place. I've double- and
12 >> triple-checked it's the right ebuild but it's still running the checks!
13 >>
14 >> Some assistance on installing glibc would be much appreciated!
15 >
16 > You can untar the binary package into /, which bypasses the checks. Then
17 > you can emerge it so that portage knows where it stands.
18 >
19 > The usual guarantees apply: if it breaks your system, you get to keep the
20 > pieces. I'd backup / first.
24 Thanks Neil, I just unpacked it manually and it fixed my problem.
25
26 gcc actually works now so I've remerged (emerge -K1) glibc and pax-utils.
27
28 I had a *really* old stage4-esque backup if it really came down to it. I
29 think that's the first time a binary update (I have two identical PCs, a
30 bit on the slow side - so one binpkgs them and I install them on the
31 second one, lessening the compiling load.)
32
33 Still don't know why glibc was checking the build environment for a
34 binary package though, that was really strange. As gcc was broken and
35 not providing any meaningful output for checks, it fails immediately.
36
37 Dan