From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ramifications of memtest86. Got it!
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:47:11
1 On Samstag 13 Februar 2010, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hi, Dale,
3 >
4 > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:27:55PM -0600, Dale wrote:
5 > > chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
6 > > >The shop who sold me the components suggested running memtest86 with
7 > > >just one RAM stick at a time. It turns out, one was duff, the other's
8 > > >just fine. (It went ~20 minutes on memtest86 without any errors.) So
9 > > >it looks like I'll be running on 2Gb only until I get a replacement
10 > > >for the broken one.
11 > > >
12 > > >
13 > > >Many thanks to all who helped me track this one down!
14 > > >
15 > > >>Dale
16 > > >>
17 > > >>:-) :-)
18 > >
19 > > There you go. Most likely one little transistor that went belly up.
20 > > Considering there are millions of those little devils on there, no
21 > > surprise at all.
22 >
23 > Oh, don't be like that! You're saying, like, another "little" transistor
24 > will soon be going. ;-)
25 >
26 > > Glad you got it sorted out and that is better than a lot of other
27 > > options. Since it is new, I hope you have a good warranty that will
28 > > make it a cheap fix as well.
29 >
30 > I bought my PC components from a premium quality shop, the sort that
31 > behaves like a gentleman and honours its guarantees. Its email support
32 > gets back to you within an hour or so (in business hours). The
33 > proprietor said I needed to send back _both_ RAM sticks (since they have
34 > a joint serial number), but he's sending me a replacement pair first, so
35 > my machine remains working.
36 >
37 > For all that, the cost of this PC was less than half that of its
38 > predecessor, a 1.2 GHz Athlon machine from ~2001. With desktop PCs now
39 > being so ridiculously cheap anyhow, it seems false economy to buy from a
40 > lesser vendor.
41 >
42 > > Dale
43 > >
45
46 nothing beats a local shop where the personal knows you and they just replace
47 your stuff when you tell them that it is defective...
48
49 I gladly pay a little premium for that.