From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub -> gummiboot: good
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 23:09:02
1 On 28.01.2015 23:51, Tom H wrote:
2
3 > Why two EFIs?
4 >
5 > One of them's unnecessary but if you want to have both, you have to
6 > have them both in the efibootmgr invocation.
7
8 I don't know why.
9
10 What I did:
11
12 cd /boot
13 rm -fr *
14 gummiboot install
15 grub2-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi
16 --bootloader-id=grub_uefi --recheck
17
18 (and maybe run kerninst to actually put a kernel and its initrd there)
21 The grub2-install-command was just taken from shell history.
22 It might be *wrong* ... yes. At least it says it runs without errors.
25 When I run:
26
27 # grub2-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=grub_3 --recheck
28
29 Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
30 grub2-install: error: cannot find EFI directory.
33 > Can you create an entry for your kernel in 40_custom and test it?
34 >
35 > Take a look at grub.cfg. I doubt that grub-mkconfig looks for a kernel
36 > in '/boot/machine_id/kernel_version/' or that it recognizes 'kernel'
37 > and 'initrd' as valid names for a kernel and an initramfs.
38
39 grub2-mkconfig did not detect any kernel, yes.
40
41 That doesn't matter btw ... the reason to have grub2 in parallel is just
42 the feature to boot iso-files (rescue media ...).
43
44 All this additional grub2-fiddlery is basically learning how to make it
45 work and getting the convenience of not having to insert a CD now and then.
46
47 For daily work I am perfectly happy with gummiboot *just* booting my
48 kernel(s) ... which works already!
49
50 thanks, regards,
51 Stefan
52
53 (leaving now ... late here as mentioned)