From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Updating libpng: another lib tool cockup?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:34:56
1 On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:58:52 -0400
2 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > > First one emerges *broken* packages.
5 > > Second one emerge packages *using* png14 (not necessarily broken)
6 >
7 > OK. But the claim was that: if
8 > revdep-rebuild
9 > with no argument found nothing to build, then
10 > revdep-rebuild --library <some-library>
11 > will find nothing.
12 >
13 > This guarantee is apparently no long true as my example in another msg
14 > illustrated.
15
16 Michael is indeed correct.
17
18 A careful reading of the man page reveals the usage of the words
19 "broken" and "using" exactly like he said. So I stand humbly corrected.
20
21 I find revdep-rebuild's behavior in this respect confusing. Even though
22 it is clearly documented it is unexpected. It would never have occurred
23 to me to draw that distinction.
26 Alan McKinnnon
27 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com