From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compose key and UTF8
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:43:59
1 On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sep 13, 2011 10:06 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >>  I am using the US layout for my keyboard in the altgr-intlk variant.
8 >>  UTF8 is activated.
9 >>  Furthermore I use CAPS LOCK as compose key. I tried compose key
10 >>  sequences from /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose and many
11 >>  do work.
12 >>  So I think the basic mechanism is ok.
13 >>
14 >>  But some came out as unfilled squares -- I think a glyph is missing
15 >>  here in the font.
16 >>
17 >>  What is the best monospaced font to be used with UTF8 and which
18 >>  supports as many glyphs as possible?
19 >>
20 >>  Thank you very much in advance for any help!
21 >>
22 >>  Best regards,
23 >>  mcc
26 > Deja Vu monospace?
27 >
28 > Rgds,
29
30 Seconded. Deja Vu is great-looking and contains almost everything I
31 encounter. I use it everywhere; programming, web browser, terminal...
32
33 More good fonts to get some of the rare Unicode glyphs that aren't
34 included in most normal fonts (especially the Symbola font has some
35 fun symbols) are available for free here:
36 http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/