From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird portage behaviour
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 22:31:23
1 On 13/04/2014 23:00, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list, me again :-(
3 >
4 > (Apologies if I'm trying your patience - my own is wearing pretty thin.)
5 >
6 > I've discovered a problem in portage on the same Atom mini-server as I've
7 > mentioned here recently.
8 >
9 > # emerge -epv world
10 > --->8
11 > Total: 329 packages (329 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 595,566 kB
12 >
13 > # emerge -epvk world
14 > --->8
15 > Total: 240 packages (240 reinstalls, 240 binaries), Size of downloads: 0 kB
16 >
17 > # emerge -epv world > list
18 > # emerge -epvk world > listk
19 > # diff list listk
20 >
21 > ...merely shows the contents of list, then the contents of listk, so clearly
22 > the packages are being evaluated in a different order.
23 >
24 > # find /usr/portage/packages -type f | wc
25 > 330 330 17879
26 > (The extra file is /usr/portage/packages/Packages, i.e. not a portage package.)
27 >
28 > # alias emerge
29 > -bash: alias: emerge: not found
30 >
31 > How is it possible for portage to emerge packages differently when it's
32 > installing from packages?
35 A proper answer involves posting the full verbose output of those emerge
36 commands.
37
38 Without that we can only guess. My guess is that USE is different
39 between your Atom and your build host, so using -k causes a different
40 set of package deps to be pulled in.
45 Alan McKinnon
46 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com